- 1 pkg Wick Fowlers 2 Alarm Chili Mix
- 2 lb ground beef or turkey
- 1 16 oz jar of medium salsa
- 8 oz water
- 1 can dark kidney beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1 can black beans (drained & rinsed)
- 1 14 oz can of Rotel tomatoes w/jalapenos
- 1 4 oz can chopped medium jalapenos (optional)
In 8 qt soup pot, brown the meat, add the chopped onions/garlic and sweat a few minutes more. Add the spices and stir to warm them, blooming their flavor oils. Be careful how much cayenne you use. I leave this packet out, as the jalapenos provide enough heat for me. Simmer 5-10 minutes. Now add the salsa, water and Rotel tomatoes. Bring to a boil and immediately turn down to simmer for 30 minutes more. Add beans and heat through.
If you are using the mesa flour packet to thicken your chili, add it when you add the beans, and continue to cook for a few additional minutes. I leave out the mesa, as my version is thick enough without the mesa flour.