- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 leek, washed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 pound mushrooms (such as white, cremini, shiitake, portobello and oyster), chopped
- 1 cup (about 7 ounces) dried French or brown lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 5 cups water
- 1 28 or 32 oz diced tomatoes, with their juice (no salt)
- 1 cup dry red wine
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch of kale, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbl balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbl maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 6 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
In a large soup pot over medium heat, saute onions, leek, garlic and carrots in olive oil.
When onions are translucent, add mushrooms and saute 5 minutes more.
Add lentils, liquids and seasoning, cover and and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer for 30 minutes until lentils are tender.
Add kale and adjust seasonings. Cook 2 minutes more.
Serve with sprinkle of parmesan cheese.