Here is an easy to throw together gluten-free pie which will remind you of the coconut-pecan frosting used on German Chocolate cakes. If you are one of those who eats German Chocolate cake frosting by the spoonful, then you will enjoy this pie!
I wanted to use up some leftover buttermilk and happened to have the coconut flakes and pecan halves. It’s mixed in one bowl, baked crustless in a pie dish, and keeps well for several days refrigerated.
Coconut Pecan Buttermilk Pie
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large whole eggs
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, melted (half a stick)
- 4 ounces buttermilk (1/2 cup)
- 3 ounces pecans, chopped (approximately 3/4 cup)
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 3 ounces sweetened coconut flakes (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter a pie dish.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, melted butter, buttermilk, coconut, pecans, flour, vanilla and salt.
Pour this mixture into a 9-inch pie dish.
Bake for 45 minutes or until the pie is golden brown and the center is barely set.
Cool for 40-45 minutes before serving.